Tuesday 3 November 2015

Venice

I've been quite proud of reaching my target at the beginning this year to visit as many places a possible in Europe. Years ago, I did an overland trip from Croatia to Italy ( Trieste) , but it dawned on me that I haven't seen Italy properly. 

Although I have always lived so close to Europe, my passion for travelling Europe has never existed. It's only been when I have travelled to far fetched places and I've met people from distant lands, who remark on how many places I must have visited in Europe due to living there. I usually turn around and tell them that it isn't the case. However, that has changed.

I'm intrigued by places surrounding by water and chose to visit Venice; a city of meandering walkways and canals. Absolutely stunning! 





To travel almost everywhere , you have to get a vaparetto (waterbus). I remember reading to refrain from visiting during the summer. Luckily we arrived mid week and only experienced a Sunday in Venice as we stayed in a place called Quarto D'Altino which was about 20 mins drive away, on the outskirts of Venice. Travelling into Venice is cheap, only €3,30. However once you're in Venice, expect to pay around €20 per person for a Vaparetto to take you around all day. There are cheaper alternatives if you purchase a 3 day ticket.

You could definitely feel and see the difference when being in Venice at the weekend the water taxis get packed and Venice is heaving. Luckily, having arrived on a Wednesday, we avoided a lot of the madness.
One of the highlights of visiting Venice were trying cuttlefish spaghetti. Due to the ink of the squid, the spaghetti is black.  We found a lovely restaurant by Rialto bridge called Pedrocchi which served an assortment of fresh fish and spaghetti. 

It may not look the most appetising, but it was delicious! 



Venice is composed of different islands. Some of the neighbouring islands include Burano and Murano which are famous for their colourful houses and coloured glass. You can visit the workshops and see where glass is made  with the use of a furnace and glassblowing. 

Murano is simply beautiful and a lovely place to walk around. Unfortunately, I missed out on the beauty of the colourful houses of Burano as we had arrived late. 




We had arrived in Murano when it was still light, so I captured a beautiful view of the canal. I love this place! 

Of course, being me, I had to find a reggae club. We found ourselves at the place called Roov Club, luckily having a car made it easier to travel around. It was pretty cool! Funny how this music is appreciated everywhere. The Italians were very welcoming and very vibrant. I've not known many places in Europe to be strict with I.D, but this place was and they made us sign up for a membership card which was an extra 10 euros each! So it was 20 euros each. But for a fab night...who cares?


Venice is of course not complete without a gondola ride which starts at 80 euros for half an hour. Pricey! But I must say it is indeed relaxing and very beautiful. You get to travel through the back streets of Venice which you wouldn't necessarily reach by foot.
 It is a must do! 

No comments:

Post a Comment