Saturday 7 November 2015

Dolomites

I absolutely love immersing myself in nature and when I read there were some mountains called the Dolomites two hours from Venice, I knew it was somewhere I had to visit! I hadn't heard too much about the Italian Alps beforehand until I did my research and realised there are many skiing resorts dispersed among the Alps. 

After a night of partying at Roov the night before, we set of quite late at around 2pm. We got there just before 4pm. The drive was picturesque, as we could already see the snowcapped mountains in the distance. The day was very pleasant for the end of October, but definitely jacket weather.


We made our first stop at Lake Misurina. Dolomites are not far from Germany and it is reflected in the architecture. The lake was gorgeous, not as blue as I had imagined. But very therapeutic in comparison to manic Venice on a weekend.  Surrounded by mountains and houses, with not many people in sight.
There are also nearby shops located around the lake for those staying nearby who spend time skiing in the Italian Alps and for those who live there.

Just up from Lake Misurina was Tre Cime. To enter, it is 16 euros with the car. Tre Cime is the name of the most famous mountains in the Dolomites, which are perfect for hiking enthusiasts. The mountains are snowcapped and are part of a beautiful landscape. We had reached the top and were not prepared for the cold we were going to feel. It was freezing! Especially in comparison to the bottom of the mountain, which you would expect. We were unable to leave the car for more than 6 minutes....as it was THAT cold. The view was very reminiscent of the Himalayas which I visited 6 years ago. Well worth a trip if you are in Venice. One of the most beautiful sights I have ever seen.
You can see how much I am trying to keep a brave face with that ice cold feeling that overwhelmed me!

It was well worth the journey. Nature at its best. Not many hikers were there, which probably means that October is a perfect time for visiting. 
We moved on to Cortina which is a neighbouring village. It was very German indeed, with wooden houses. On route, there were many winding streets with cone shaped orange trees. Simply lush!

Cortina, I believe is one of the main skiing resorts as the town centre is filled with ski shops and lovely restaurants. 

We arrived there quite late, but there is also another beautiful lake which is located in Cortina. 
Next time I come to somewhere like this, I'll have to look fear in the face and have a go at skiing! 

No comments:

Post a Comment