Wednesday 1 April 2015

Semana Santa en España

Due to Spain's strong Catholic roots, a great or maybe not so great time to visit ( due to the crowds) would be during the Easter. It is very packed! Luckily as we arrived in Sevilla in the afternoon, the procession was just about to begin.

Having studied Hispanic studies, I was very much aware of what to expect in terms of the attire. As I am on a school trip, I had to explain to some of my students about something they'd see they may shock or scare them.



These people dressed in capirotes are known as nazarenos. Despite their attire alluding to that of the Ku Klux Klan, there is nothing sinister about it as many foreigners would think. These robes to show penitence to God and the conical part; to bring them closer to heaven.

Sevilla was definitely a favourite. I even had the chance to visit the Real Alcazar which I have to say was well worth it and nature at its best. It is one of the oldest palaces in Spain and originally built by the Moors. Again, 'alcazar' is taken from Arabic ' royal house'. The Moors I'll let the pictures speak for themselves!



Many monarchs made this their residency, including His Majesty King Juan Carlos who also stays here.

No comments:

Post a Comment