Saturday 24 December 2011

Thailand

One of the first visits I had to do was to Ayutthaya. When you arrive in Bangkok, there are little stalls o the streets everywhere selling cheap day excursions. The visit to the tger sanctuary seems to be the most popular, yet not so ethical, as the tigers are sedated and not treated well. I'm not a believer that animals should be caged up for photo purposes either! Ayuthaya was a short journey away from Bangkok, our first visit to the Wat Phra Si Sanphet. Wat means temple in the THAI language. It was very serene and calm. I was in awe, similiar to the calm ambience of TEOTIHUCUAN in Mexico. Everyone knows if you are going to visit Asia, visiting Thailand is a must. No matter your age. I have often conjured up images of a bohemian place filled with travelers wearing harem pants, bare footed , and a signature dreadlock dangling at the back of their neck. Well...this is kind of what I saw I guess.

 On arrival I was greeted with an almost stifling heat and and the overwhelming sound of the tuk tuk engines. It was truly what I imagined. I stayed at Nap Hostel on Khao San Road and off I went the next day to explore one of the numerous sights of Thailand.
I decided to buy a day tour package that would take us to some ruins. My favorite was the temple which had Buddha statues with silk wrapped across them like a sache...surrounded by the crumbling ruins...magical.

No comments:

Post a Comment