Friday 12 February 2010

House Lady??

One of the things that I am usually against is having a house lady. I just feel like as black people have we not learnt from slavery?? However , having discussed this with some of my students they disagreed as said it was an opportunity for poorer people to work. I guess they have a point.

In England we manage to have families and still cook so why can;t everybody else??

Well, today we were introduced to Tegemea ( our new house lady) - which means to expect/reliable in Swahili.
She's only 19 , but it just makes me really just how lucky i was at that age, I didn't even have to think about preparing my own meal let alone anybody elses!!

She cooked us our favourite meal soo far...as we don't have gas, all cookings down outside. She made us chipsi mayai ( chips and eggs mixed together) I absolutely love it!! This kinda stuff is a treat!

As for the living conditions, so far, we have electricity 4 hours a day 7pm-11pm. the keys times we need it, me and Stacey rush to charge everything we have!! Phones, camcorder, mp3's u name it its in the socket!
We get water delivered from the water truck daily and collect it with a bucket and thats our shower for the day.
So there you go , no light switch to switch on or tap to run,but I quite like it this way.
The squatt toilet is a bit annoying but some things u just gotta deal with 'eh......this is what i signed up for..........

No comments:

Post a Comment